Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

conniebv
Participant

First of all, I would ask to touch your goats politely and abide by your decision, because goats are adorable.

I agree that entitlement (I like this word for this) is an issue in many fandoms, and what I have seen be most helpful is a strong word from above. Like I’m also a fan of Arrow, and Amell has a strong fan following but he is the first to call someone out on being inappropriate and not owing them his life. So when this happens on Tumblr or Twitter or FB, the rest of the fans who know the deal close ranks and say “Hey dude, not here” and so the status remains quo.

With that, I don’t mean to say that anyone’s behavior is the star’s responsibility. You’ll always have the fringe elements that think rules don’t apply to them and that acting a fool is cute. But I think it helps to hear over and over, “Hey dude, not here” in a tone of equals. Not in the maternal/paternal tone it sometimes devolves to.