Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

rachely
Participant

I’m gonna repost something I put in the other thread:

This is address to a generic “you” not a named “you”
I think the problem lies in making it too much about SH. Unless you all want to form the Society to Preserve Sam Heughan’s Virtue, which I don’t think you do (because it doesn’t have a catchy acronym for starters). But if you pull him out of all the other actors then you are rather attacking people on a personal level because if you’re saying “you shouldn’t do that to Sam” it’s personal to someone who has, in fact, been speaking about Sam.

Outlander is really just the flavor of the moment, it’s been Harry Potter’s Dick, and Just How Big IS Jon Hamm, Or Alexander Skarsgard in the Snow. It just happens to be that at this very moment Sam is the big thing–at least in the circles that WE are all in. None of my real life friends watch Outlander so they clearly haven’t been discussion Sam’s ass. Remember, when you’re following 100 people who are in some way related to Outlander you’re putting yourself in the center of a very small circle.

And now I’ll get off my high horse.