Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

WatchrTina
Participant

This is my first post here. I was relieved to find someone who was a bit critical of the article that sparked all this discussion. Because while I agree with many of the author’s points, I thought she used too broad a brush in her tarring and feathering of other fans.

I, too, have been disturbed by some of the things I’ve read on the internet from fans of the show. I have blocked a couple of people on PreviouslyTV.com so that I don’t see their posts anymore because of some body-shaming comments they made about Caitriona. Those comments were made in the middle of what had been a very positive, celebratory discussion of The Wedding episode. It was a real shame when it happened — it tainted the whole discussion. But I will confess to having commented, in that board, on how good Sam looked. I have, on more than one occasion, expressed my appreciation for the writers / directors habit of having Claire tend Jamie’s wounds while he is bare-chested, gently lit by fire-light. I cheerfully read the Outlander Anatomy post all about “Jamie’s Chest”. Is that also “Objectifying” Sam? I hope not. I consider myself a true fan. I went to see Emulsion when a local group organized a viewing. I’ve donated to his charity. I’ve posted a lot on various boards about how happy I am with the TV version of these books I love and I’ve specifically written about how delighted I am by the casting of Sam & Cait. I avoid negative comments. But I do, from time to time, say something complimentary about how Sam looks. I used the word “eye-candy” just yesterday when I was writing a compare-and-contrast post about Outlander vs Black Sails, during which I acknowledged that Black Sails does have a couple of actors who look very nice with their shirts off but Jamie’s chest, gently lit by fire-light is still my favorite. Am I objectifying Sam when I say things like that? I hope not. And I doubt if it was posts like mine that the writer of the article was talking about. I think I know the creepy comments she was reacting to. They bother me too. But her article bothered me as well.