Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Theresa
Participant

I read the article and agree with the points. I decided to leave my comments here, rather than on the other blog due to the protected nature if this forum. I, too, have chosen to unfollow some groups and people, due to objectification (and also due to blatant copyright violations, which seems to bother few). Some people claim “what the harm?” when joining in rough talk about Mr. Heughan, but the kilt incident with Mr. McTavish is a perfect example. I was there and most of us who were nearby assumed she had slipped or something. It wasn’t until after the conference that we learned what really happened. The woman had done it on purpose: dropped to the floor and rolled right under his kilt. She even bragged to others and later tried to defend her actions as harmless. For the rest of us, we grew sick as we realized we had witnessed what amounted to a sexual assault. If the gender roles had been reversed, the police would surely have been called. To his credit, he’s only made a generalized remark about it. That event and it’s aftermath showed me the ugly and scary side of being a ” fan ” of someone. I’m thankful I was a book fan first; that makes it easier to keep things in perspective.