Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: OUTLANDER ISSUES ****SPOILER ALERT****

barbc624
Participant

[quote quote=5924]

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Terry Dresbach wrote:</div>

I’m for sure a Claire-and-Jamie-relationship junkie AND someone who is fascinated by all aspects of the story. I really did spend time thinking about poor Claire on her wedding night. She didn’t just have to navigate the very eager Scottish virgin but also had to pee into a pot in the same room as said Scottish virgin. That’s directly from the source material! Maybe I’m pee prude, but that seems like a lot for the sensibilities to handle.

[/quote]

Ah yes, the peeing into the pots during the wedding night in the book. But… Claire does tell us in the book that growing up with her Uncle Lamb she was used to living in very primitive conditions (didn’t she even say she learned how to dig a latrine as a girl?) and so a lot of the living conditions in the 18th centurty Scottish Highlands didn’t bother her all that much. So I’m thinking that the peeing part may not have been so big a deal to her given her past background. Then again she wasn’t all that well acquainted with Jamie up until that night… but on the other hand there was lots of drinking happening apart from the sex (wine in the book, whisky on the show)so…..