Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: OUTLANDER ISSUES ****SPOILER ALERT****

mosleslie
Participant

[quote quote=5910]I would certainly never argue that we NEED to see Claire executing some postcoital clean-up or any other kind of hygiene maintenance in the show. I think Ron’s attitude, even about the much-discussed body hair, is right on. If it doesn’t directly impact or propel the story, it can go.

But I do think it’s funny, to return to my other comment, that Diana did clearly seem to think about a lot of these mundane aspects when writing the books — and about her readers’ curiosity about them. When I was reading the books, I absolutely did wonder how a modern woman would deal with some of the things we all have to deal with but stuck in the 18th century. I spent some time googling how 18th-century women dealt with their periods before realizing that most of them didn’t have many because they were pregnant or nursing most of the time. It’s just such a different era, and relating to Claire as a modern woman who is used to her hot baths and water from a tap makes the act of reading the books that much more immersive.

Anyway, I understand that that’s why the books are 900 pages long. :)
[/quote]

[quote quote=5910]January 17, 2015 at 12:10 am #5910 REPLY | QUOTE[/quote]

JB, so very well said. I feel like the ‘leaking’ topic, unimportant to The Story as it may be, has helped me, along with JB’s use of “immersion” and talk of fantasizing about being in Claire’s place, modern woman already ahead of her times) thrown backwards 200 years, to relate to her even more. How is that possble?

I’m raising a glass, quite literally, to Rachely for the first mention of the leaky cum, becuase it’s helped at least THIS woman to feel closer to this production – through something that was not included. We’ll hold that strangeness up to the Miracle of Televised Storytelling.

And thank you so very much, Terry and Ron, for pulling back the curtain. So many great things to toast tonight 🙂