Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: OUTLANDER ISSUES ****SPOILER ALERT****

JB
Participant

I would certainly never argue that we NEED to see Claire executing some postcoital clean-up or any other kind of hygiene maintenance in the show. I think Ron’s attitude, even about the much-discussed body hair, is right on. If it doesn’t directly impact or propel the story, it can go.

But I do think it’s funny, to return to my other comment, that Diana did clearly seem to think about a lot of these mundane aspects when writing the books — and about her readers’ curiosity about them. When I was reading the books, I absolutely did wonder how a modern woman would deal with some of the things we all have to deal with but stuck in the 18th century. I spent some time googling how 18th-century women dealt with their periods before realizing that most of them didn’t have many because they were pregnant or nursing most of the time. It’s just such a different era, and relating to Claire as a modern woman who is used to her hot baths and water from a tap makes the act of reading the books that much more immersive.

Anyway, I understand that that’s why the books are 900 pages long. 🙂