Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: Dragonfly in Amber: Book Discussion and Show Expectations

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion Dragonfly in Amber: Book Discussion and Show Expectations Reply To: Dragonfly in Amber: Book Discussion and Show Expectations

Terry Dresbach
Keymaster

[quote quote=5636]So, again, Terry, to put you on the spot. How much of how the writers address Season 2 (DIA) also encompasses what will happen in later books?

I was watching BSG today (woot! friend has the DVDs) and was watching the episode where Ellen Tigh comes back. And I was wondering at what point in the writing they decided that Ellen was one of the Final Four (or Five? whatever it was). In the case of BSG they could change things as they came along–someone decided that the actress who played Ellen Tigh was strong and they should make more of her story… but in OL the story is already written. So how does that work?
[/quote]

I have no idea about either question. The writers room is a strange and mysterious place where a lot of arguing and consumption of bad junk food goes on.I think the process is different on every show. But generally they “break” the season, with Ron at the helm, meaning they plan it all out in sort of an big outline. The big bullet points. Then different writers take different episodes, off and write them. They are in turn handed over to Ron, who approves them, changes, polishes and sometimes rewrites them. It is a fluid and organic process.