Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: Hair thread!

sonyakhanum
Participant

[quote quote=5222] I’d also love to have representation for women who don’t shave. It’d be amazing to see someone in this setting, own it. I don’t think it’ll happen, and I agree that the media/fans would have a field day with it. There is such a stigma in society around body hair, which I personally find idiotic. You constantly hear people preaching that certain acts and conditions aren’t “natural” but many of these same people think body hair isn’t “natural”. It’s makes my head hurt. I don’t shave, it’s a recent thing on my part because it took me years to get over the stigma of having body hair. I no longer care what others think on the matter, but it helps that I’m surrounded by people who keep body hair, unashamedly. [/quote]

As a very hairy woman with Middle Eastern descent who was teased as a child for being “hairy” (even though I wasn’t as hairy as the other kids in class, but my hair is more visible because it’s black and coarse), I absolutely LOVED that scene in DIA and was like “oh hells yeah!” I surely hope they keep that scene for the second season, or at least have some reference to it.

I don’t want to have to shave/wax everyday (it’s so irritating and time-consuming – ugh). I’ve always been envious of people who don’t have to shave everyday and can grow a little bit of stubble without having a 5 o’clock shadow on their legs. I used to wax my arms and face in addition to my legs and armpits. Now, I just can’t bother with my arms and just think that people can deal with it. I’m still working on the face and legs (I do not wax or shave regularly – I’ll say again, it’s so irritating and time-consuming), though I don’t know if I can give it up yet. I still care about what others think…if only I could stir up some courage (though the other day I did step out of the change room trying on a skirt while having hairy legs – one step at a time I guess)! I do think that a representation of a female body with hair can do wonders for people like me, even if it’s not important to the story. We’ve been so inundated with images of smooth, hairless female bodies, for once, it’d be nice to see some hair.

Sorry, that’s my rant for the day.