Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: Thread of RAGE

Susan53
Participant

My response to Barb’s great reply:

First – RAGE RAGE RAGE RAGE RAGE !!!!!

What I find more problematic than the reactions of other students is the responses of the administration, most especially the women in positions of power and trust. I find them to be particularly disgusting. All of these people should be fired and then made to stand out in the public square and be shamed for enabling and covering up criminal behavior by their students. Then they should be made to work in community service for minimum wage, counseling and helping rape victims for the rest of their pathetic little lives. UVA’s administration has forfeited all claim for this school to be a place of enlightenment and learning. They care about Thomas Jefferson? HAH. They care about money and prestige for themselves, and about protecting it.

The larger problem however is that the society we live in objectifies women (and actively fosters a climate in which women are either the Madonna ( “50 Kids and Counting” or whatever the h*** that stupid show is) or the whore. Sadly we haven’t really progressed much beyond the 17th century IMO.

Until we as women ALL stand together and refuse to accept this culture this will continue. I cannot find it in myself to blame children (for that is what first year students really are) for behavior that has been shaped by the media images of women as sex objects that they have been bombarded with all of their lives. I also don’t believe we can push off fixing things to the younger generation or the students or whoever – each and every one of us must stand up and speak out and refuse to go along with this any longer, just as gays and immigrants and blacks have done and continue to do. It doesn’t matter what social class or income level we come from – as women we are second class citizens and until we admit to that and do something about it, our daughters will continue to be treated this way. The way I see it, it’s like being an addict or an alcoholic – until you admit you have a problem you can’t begin to fix it.

Sorry for the rant but I am just so tired of all of the crap that goes on daily with guns and rape and hatred in the name of religion. I know we as human beings can be better than this but lately I wonder if we have the will to do it.

Oh Barb, thank you for your (rageful!) intelligent response. I’m in agreement with you 100%. And while I’m not blaming these twenty-year-olds (actually some of these boys in this article were Senior students) I am questioning WHY they’re not questioning, you know? I suppose the answer is somewhat as you point out, a result of our current culture.
Rant on — our collective rage helps me to take a firmer stand and better express myself to both my daughter and others who will listen.

I’m tired of the crap, too . . .