Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On Objectification of Sam, et al

CelticGlamazon
Participant

I find myself in a state of just plain pissed off tonight.

I have seen so many supportive and lovely things sent to SH on Twitter since the pictures of the Halloween party were released. It gave me hope, that the image of us “fans” was a positive/supportive one. Then I started to see the endless comments on Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook, and Instagram calling his date a Whore and all the possible spellings there of for her costume.

This is the point in which I had to fight the urge to smash my head into my desk. Sam seems like such a nice guy, and as we’ve all pointed out, can’t be that naive about the realities of stardom, but this…I don’t even know what to call this behavior…is just appalling to me. Is it because I live in a culture where the word Whore isn’t a compliment, no matter how much we as women try to take back ownership of our sexuality? I can’t be the only one that is sickened by this! I know that, culturally, I have a different perspective than someone from the UK, but…ugh…I don’t even know how to feel about these. I’ve attached 4 conversations on Twitter.

The twitter post I’m refrencing in the first image is this https://mobile.twitter.com/marygrace0503/status/526880139196370945

I also regret letting my temper get the better of me, I shouldn’t have fed the trolls. I blame the half bottle of wine before hand.