Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: OUTLANDER ISSUES ****SPOILER ALERT****

AllisonL
Participant

I, too, discovered DG and the series in my 30s. I’m a writer (nonfiction children’s books, history, adventure, and science fiction) and at the time I was working on a novel that had time travel as part of the plot. I was reading everything I could get my hands on that had a time travel element in it when I stumbled onto Outlander at the grocery store and bought it to add to my pile of research. Once I got to it, I was completely hooked. This was the mid 90s. I managed to hang on through the years-long waits between books through Fiery Cross and then stopped. What I most enjoy and appreciate about the series is DG’s writing style, which I find refreshingly straightforward. It’s filled with such fascinating historical details that I as a nonfiction writer love to find and put in my own work. Even the smallest details–like the moment in one book, I forget which one, when Claire describes what they used instead of toilet paper—give me such a research-geek thrill! Now I’m in my early 50s, married with a small child, and rereading the series for the first time since I left it back then. What is resonating with me now are the ways Jamie and Claire respect one another in their marriage. They fight like hellions but they also both have the grace to admit when they’re wrong and take their lumps. I also think DG has managed to write a time-traveling character that doesn’t feel alien in the place she landed in, both to us as readers and to the other characters in the book. Claire accepts the realities of the time she’s in without belittling or over-romanticizing them, which is hard to pull off believably. And through this wonderful series comes this amazing blog. Checking the new posts here has become my morning-coffee reading. You’ve all given me much to think about, and I hope to put together my thoughts on the rape thread soon. And it’s made me dust off that novel, which was never finished, and see if I can get it into shape.