Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: OUTLANDER ISSUES ****SPOILER ALERT****

GraceBWell
Participant

[quote quote=3932]I think that we all need to think of the defining point as , “how old were we when we red these books?” I was in my early 30s, like you.Here I am still. Now you are here. Shared experience at about the same point in our lives, just different years when we entered the dialogue.
I suspect, and hope, that the TV show will bring in a lot of younger women. (I actually designed that ring for THEM)
It should be an interesting multi generational discussion.[/quote]

This is a good question Terry. I read the first 3 books in my early 30s – they resonated but I didn’t really dig into them. Being a fan of the series now and loving all aspects of it (OMG do I love the art, customs, set designs, writing, acting, landscape), it inspired me to re-read the first 3 (I don’t know why but I’m almost compelled to reread even a 3rd time!!) and I plan to keep going. I’m finding even more of personal resonance now almost 10 years later. On the outside, my family has been tracing our roots for years and we’re finally getting to the names and dates of immigrants from Ireland, Scotland and England spanning from the 1600-1800s and it’s been fascinating. So reading and seeing historical fiction touching on my own ancestral connections is really a thrill. There’s definitely an ironic timing of my own geneology research juxtaposed to exploring my own ancesteral lines moving forward and backwards – it’s quite spiritual & powerful.

I think there’s another level that rings true to me as a women through the books – it’s Claire’s journey as a female – her independence – stubbornness even if it gets her in hot water– her tancity to survive and to go for it – to risk it all no matter what – and the courage to keep honoring herself despite it all. Other things that resonate: navigating a male dominated world that has expectations towards women (and men) and their roles as spouses (still so relevant!). Claire and Jaime’s relationship is definitely exciting but it’s also interesting to me to see how two people work through societal & familial expectations – ties and chains all intertwined into one that’s begging for freedom of self expression, love and will.

I often wonder – while the dangers that Claire and Jaime experience are so present, in the moment and vivid in their “time”- is it too far removed from the modern experiences of these times – at least in “developed” countries? For me, I think not. Certainly I have a better recognition of what it took to get “here” to 2014 from just looking at my own lines. But here in the present – the risks are still there at every turn – we might fool ourselves in thinking we deal more in metaphorical level but the risks are real, here and now, and we often don’t know it until something shatters. what do you think guys think? Terry?

Also I can relate to odyssey of my own relationship spanning over 20 years – any journey that requires authentic intimacy and vulnerability in order to have viability is one worth taking. Even still, it’s journey that no one knows what will lie ahead – just like the books! My own life experience lives side by side with the 2 sided coin that is, at least in part, life. The risks of win or lose – create or destroy – love and loss – passion and apathy – yearning and abandonment – peace and discord – no judgement either way on these experiences – but the books speak to me in these terms a lot. I love the how the books weave real life traumas and joys that threads through all ages. Diana’s writing and stories are raw & honest and cover topics that aren’t often found in such a real/respectful way no matter how fantastical – sexual expression, passion, rape, brutality, survival, loyalty, betrayal, abandonment, despair, courage, miscarriage, loss of children, loss of parents, healing from trauma, even Claire’s herbalism & alchemy – these are all things I know intimately.