Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: OUTLANDER ISSUES ****SPOILER ALERT****

barbc624
Participant

[quote quote=3856]

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>barbc624 wrote:</div>
I work in insurance which is a totally white male dominated industry. Same experience and attitudes.

The film business is horrible. Absolutely horrible. For such a “liberal” culture the gender inequalities are staggering. It is a very difficult business for someone like me, the daughter of a feminist union organizer to tolerate. So I don’t. It is a daily struggle, sometimes quiet, and sometimes not between me and “the business”, as I push back and demand that things be done differently. Pretty exhausting, when you already have such insane conditions, and a lot of those conditions directly exist because the costume department is a department of women and gay men, so you are screwed over before you start. And it is twice as difficult because you not only fight against the culture at the top, but the culture at the bottom.
Everyone in this business lives in terror of getting fired if they speak up, and women/gay men, obviously have been culturally indoctrinated to accept less than their straight male counterparts. Getting them to stand up and push back is almost impossible.
So I am just a “pushy bitch”.
[/quote]

My daughter is in the film business and I have heard the stories from her. More than once I have said to her “that can’t be true” or “that sounds like a soap opera” and she has assured me that it is a true story. She worked freelance for about 7 years on the production side on movies, tv shows, and lastly for a small development company, but when the company closed down last year she decided it was time to quit. She moved home and has spent the last year finishing up her screen writing certificate at UCLA, filming some shorts, and working on several screen plays with the ultimate goal of producing and directing one of them.

She has always refused to go to work full time for one of the studios for the very reasons you speak of, choosing instead to do it on her own with the support of her friends and colleagues in the business (both male and female) and of her family. Sometimes it makes me sad to see her struggles as compared to some of her male friends from high school and college days who started where she did but have had a much easier time of it in progressing due to their gender. But then I think of how strong and determined she is and smile to myself. The men have no idea of who is coming at them! She is also a pushy bitch and I am so proud of her being so – she takes after a long line of strong women in our family and represents them well. 🙂