Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: OUTLANDER ISSUES ****SPOILER ALERT****

Terry Dresbach
Keymaster

[quote quote=3767]I am one of those women who went to work in the 70’s,had a family, and has stuck it out through today. And what you said about the glass ceiling and the idiot next to you has not changed.

I’m at a point of figuring out a way to get out of this rat race but am hampered by financial considerations. Namely where does the money come from to maintain a comfortable retirement lifestyle when the time comes since my husband’s and my 401Ks were decimated and our equity in our home destroyed in the financial meltdown.

What it comes down to is feeling that women were sold a bill of goods. Rather than have it all it really meant do it all. So yeah there are days that it seems like my mothers generation had it not so bad, and if I happened to find some standing stones with a Jamie on the other side I just might take a walk through them.
[/quote]

I think we are all those women in one form or another. I quit work without thinking twice. I was fed up and tired of all of it. Tired of having to fight constantly for what male departments got automatically, and tired of being paid as much as the second camera assistant, to the assistant editor, the second grip.I got tired of being a ball buster every day, in order to get less than everyone else. But I was financially supporting my mother, and had to keep at it. When I got married,I thought I would come home and be an artist. Nope, I came home and was a housewife and barely got any of my work done. And that was with a very supportive husband.
Now I am back at work, and back on the battlefield. I am a ball buster once again.

Yes, those stones do seem to lead to a much simpler life. Not an easier one, but one with clearer delineation. Everyone works, otherwise you die.