Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: Other books!

AnCatDubh1980
Participant

Good idea! I’m always looking for suggestions to my already lengthy reading list.

If anyone is looking for another series of highly detailed historical novels with rich character development and lots of adventure, I’d highly recommend Patrick O’Brian’s Aubrey/Maturin (Master & Commander) series. After reading all 21 of them, the voice in your head starts to sound like a strange cross between a foul-mouthed sailor and Mr. Darcy 😉

As for historical romances, Anya Seton’s are classics. She wrote mostly in the 40’s & 50’s, with a few after. I remember first reading them when I was about 11 or 12 years old (what can I say, as long as a book looked thick, no one much paid attention to what I read) and it was more her lovely language and expressions of human emotions that stuck with me, moreso than the specific characters or plots or details. Green Darkness has an element of the spiritual/supernatural about it and Devil Water is about the 1715/45 Jacobite Risings.

I actually read alot more non-fiction than I do fiction. My favorite author is Alison Weir. She has done biographies of women such as Eleanor of Aquitaine, Isabella of France, Katherine Swynford, Elizabeth Wydeville, and Mary Boleyn. Her next book is about Margaret Douglas, niece of Henry VIII and grandmother of James I. Her primary source research is top-notch, and her writing makes household accounts and probate inventories seem absolutely fascinating. She also writes some Tudor-period historical fiction, but I haven’t explored those yet.