Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: OUTLANDER ISSUES ****SPOILER ALERT****

AmazingJulz
Participant

I’m really loving all of this discussion, too! Sorry am late to the party, but life, ya know?

I’ve thought for some time the Jamie/BJR scene at Wentworth was so much more than just a simple rape like Claire’s, which was pretty basic and matter-of-fact. It was much more a psychological torture with pain and rape, keeping Claire and her memory front and center the whole time. That’s why Jamie needed her to allow him to fight at the abbey, since he had pledged not to and didn’t for her sake. BJR used his love of Claire against him, and although Jamie wanted to push her away, she wouldn’t go. In that, she became as stubborn as any Fraser. She figured out how to find grace and give it to Jamie! So far in the story, Claire’s been accosted in the hallway by clansmen, near raped by BJR at first meeting; near raped by Harry and pal in the glen and roughed up sexually by BJR at Wentworth. She does have some experience dealing with a sexual violence mentality clearly demonstrated in both book and show.

The v. passionate Leoch scene after Claire worked herself up to a tumultuous uproar of jealousy over Laigohaire and Jamie forced her to accept him? IMHO, one of the best scenes in the relationship. He holds out the ring, and everything that goes with it, and SHE ACCEPTS. He doesn’t want to hear her jealousy about Laigohaire and although he always accepts Frank, this was the “I’m going to REALLY distract you from thinking of him while we’re mmmph-ing For-evah.” I don’t see it as a near rape, it was posed as a question: Will you have me? The description is perfect – she goes along, complains a little and then responds as an equal right back. Epic storytelling from Diana and a marriage is truly forged.

The show has more than met my expectations for adaptation – brilliant work to make this relationship real from the finest source material. In selling these books as great reads over the years, I’ve developed a shorthand to describe them: They set romance novels on their ass by making the man a virgin, the heroine a badass who humanly expresses desire for love; the love triangle shows JAMMF was a much more Enlightened Humanist than Frank (btw, love the bit in the show with Tobias saying “Mrs. FRANK RANDALL” and JAMMF toasting “CLAIRE Fraser,” that was a very nice bit that sums it up perfectly!).

Both men are helpless to Claire’s drive for her career, but only Frank makes her feel like shit about leaving Brianna to do it (Ok, JAMMF wasn’t there, but he would have been all about it if he had been). Frank was very much a product of the 20th c sexism and DG shows sometimes he really wanted to control Claire and was scared of letting her be herself. Jamie demands she be herself.

Hope, I’m so sorry for your experience. Living well, like the Holocaust victims, is truly the best revenge. A moment of violence doesn’t define the rest of your life unless you let it. Should we all have a Claire to clear our minds of the poison others have introduced!

The state of Grace at the abbey is a wonderful passage for any life’s challenges, like, say, answering the 10,947th time what anyone wears for undies (Jesus, that’s a lazy reporter).

I love the characters that are coming into their own on the show – am tres nervous about JAMMF’s POV from Wentworth. In the book, it was in small snippets and not all at once. I truly respect Ron for going for the imagined over the real drippy stuff on the flogging — I’m a huge Hitchcock fan and appreciate the mind exercises Ron is bringing to the material! It’s so much better to have your mind fill in the blanks than just out there.

Rambling, just shoot me.