Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: OUTLANDER ISSUES ****SPOILER ALERT****

Terry Dresbach
Keymaster

[quote quote=3053]

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>rachely wrote:</div>

I was okay once Jamie said that a man who risked everyone’s life would have been hung or whipped. Now we have equality. Claire should not have any consequences for putting everyone’s lives at risk, because she is a woman. That, to me is just a different flavor of sexism, and it cheapens the equality issue.

AGREE. And, again in some later book (were they talking about Malva maybe?) he makes a very interesting (from a 21st century perspective) on the difference between “beating” your wife or child and “punishing” them. You didn’t strap people for the joy of doing it (the way Rabbie’s dad did) but because it was justice.

Interesting, Ron uses that word about Claire’s beating. But Ron is Jamie, to a t.

Before I ever read Outlander, I would follow conversations on book boards where women would rage against DG for the punishment scene aka (to them) wife beating, spousal abuse, etc. It intrigued me. Once I picked up the book and read the scene, I just didn’t get the outrage. And Jamie explained it perfectly when he drew the comparison as to what would happen if another man had acted as Claire did.

As a reader/watcher of GOT and a reader/watcher of Outlander, there is no comparison. GOTs, the book, had plenty of rape, sex, violence… but all was appropriate(?) for the setting. HBO has gone overboard with the “set dressing” as Terry refers to it. I loved the GOT books, but have been taken back with several scenes on HBO. Why do the filmmakers feel the need to do this? I’d love the thought process from women filmmakers like filmfixation and Terry… If the story is quality enough, why throw extra naked women at it?
[/quote]
Simple answer, because it sells. If you go around to the various reviews of Outlander and read both review and comments, you will find one consistent theme among those who don’t like it. It’s boring, it’s too slow, takes too long, nothing happens. I think that we have completely desensitized people to films about normal life. They are so used to seeing highly sensational images onscreen that two people in a room talking just seems dull. So when you watch Boardwalk Empire, the two people (lost always men), are often talking in a whorehouse. Not because the whorehouse is relevant to their discussion, but because it makes the scene EXCITING. You don’t just have to manage enough attention to sit there for 5 minutes and watch the scene, you can keep the rush going by watching the parade of necked females in the background. If that rush is not fed, you are bored and turn it off.
Someone like Ron thinks that is bullshit, and won’t do it. Yes he had a scene in a whorehouse, and there will be others, but they are actually relevant to and part of the story.
But the difference with Ron is that he always pushes back against the idea that the audience is stupid and will turn your show off if you don’t cater to such base attributes. He has always contended that people will watch if the show is interesting, and that you don’t need anything more than that.
That is nothing new. It is the way things always were in film and television, before JAWS and Star Wars.
LOts and lots of screentime with fully clothed people just sitting talking in rooms, without the camera flying all
over the place, nothing blowing up and no one getting decapitated.
The thing is that studios and networks have to also believe that is possible. But they are fear based entities and trust neither themselves nor the audience.
So the finish line constantly moves and what was new is the norm, what was before, never existed and is no longer possible. Like the idea that it is impossible for children to function without computers or cell phones.

We are the same genetic beings as we always have been, but we act as if we are not the same at all.

It is also going to be interesting because the overstimulating, high adrenaline entertainment is IMO, very male. I think women are different and want different dories. A show like OL may be a real game changer for television and film. If it has a big audience and is financially successful, then there is a different message about what sells.
(Don’t cancel STARZ, unless you want to send a very different message)

That is a bit of a ramble, I hope it makes sense.