Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: OUTLANDER ISSUES ****SPOILER ALERT****

filmfixation
Participant

For some reason I cant see any posts below mine, but I have been able to see posts via email…

Regarding the topic of depicting violence against women visually…yes, its a biggie-a HUGE challenge for this show. This very “issue” came to a head for a show that is often (wrongly I think) put in the same category as Outlander: Game of Thrones.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/03/arts/television/for-game-of-thrones-rising-unease-over-rapes-recurring-role.html?_r=0

And herein lies the central conflict for both shows, stated here by George RR Martin: “Rape and sexual violence have been a part of every war ever fought, from the ancient Sumerians to our present day…To omit them from a narrative centered on war and power would have been fundamentally false and dishonest,” he continued, “and would have undermined one of the themes of the books: that the true horrors of human history derive not from orcs and Dark Lords, but from ourselves.”

Here is the thing: the issue is not whether or not to include it at all. Rape is a reality of war, peacetime, both 200 years ago and today. To ignore it, or refuse to grapple with it in a narrative is simply irresponsible.

The issue is how we do this. There are so many choices to be made, especially in the visual realm. For while prose can certainly pack a punch-imagery is the current language we all speak. Imagery doesn’t just flash across our screens anymore, ephemeral and fleeting. It stays with us in screen captures, memes, gifs and all sorts of forms.

Because of this, the visual handling of rape is the issue, not the sheer existence of the content.

Before I continue-Can folks see this post? I can’t so I just wanted to check!