Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: Your Own Outlander Costumes

rachely
Participant

This was long before the series started (but after I read the books). This is a hand-stitched linen shift with gathered shoulder and cuff, my half-boned stays (I have hand-stitched fully boned ones that I usually don’t let sit on my dress form), bum roll, and three hand-stitched petticoats. Two petticoats you can’t see are linen and the top one is a very light-weight striped silk that can double as an underskirt. All of them have pocket slits and I have a pair of half-embroidered pockets sitting right next to me.

Mostly after five years as a stay-at-home-mom I felt like my brain was atrophying and decided to teach myself to do this (I learned to sew when I was 6 or so). Draping, resizing patterns, fitting something as fitted as stays, sewing by hand. It made me remember how much I love sewing by hand. And re-learning math!

I actually had a gown draped, but my slightly-disturbing obsession with Claire’s tartan gown with its bodice on the bias means I pulled it off, since the fabric I was draping happens to be a plaid and lord I love that dress.

I have a brown wool that I think will be an open Robe a l’Anglais with (SHOCKINGLY) cartridge pleats. There will be an embroidered stomacher.

The plaid is a linen/silk blend that will be a lot like Claire’s tartan dress (thank you Terry).