Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: Leaving Scotland

fashionedfoxily
Participant

I think some places and people are just meant to be together, like geological soulmates. I remember falling in love with Scotland over 20 yrs ago, before I’d ever seen it, as a teenager. I remember feeling heartsick for it, the way you miss the love of your life you’ve yet to find. The empty, lonesome longing that pulls at your soul and brings you to tears. The more I learned and loved Scotland, the more I was know to proclaim I’d marry a Scotsman someday. Never did I imagine I’d someday marry an American of storied Scots decent. His family of ‘Bates’ proudly brought out their treasured heirloom, the family bible brought over with two brothers from Scotland around the 1680s. The pages of this Scottish bible is marked with fading script of births, deaths and marriages of hundreds of years of family, belonging to my relatively newly acquired surname. I think if you listen to your heart and soul, it will lead you to where you are meant to be, just as in the book, Claire feels she is swimming through time and faces, and somehow chooses subconsciously to land in 1843, to her true love.